BR-1600CD: Digital Recorder
BOSS’s BR-1600CD 16-track recorder, the most popular and full-featured portable 16-track on the market, expands with a Version 2 upgrade. Already powerful with its eight XLR inputs for simultaneous recording, pro-grade effects, and backing tracks, the BR-1600CD with Version 2 upgrade (free for all previous BR-1600 units) improves and adds to the existing effects, including COSM® bass amp models from the GT-6B, enhanced vocal tools, MIDI sync capability, and more. Also new to Version 2 — the BR-1600CD can read BR-1200CD/1180CD song data, no conversion process necessary.
- 16-track (256 V-Track) digital studio with 80GB hard drive and CD-R/RW drive
- Record all 8 XLR inputs simultaneously—ideal for tracking live performances
- Powerful onboard effects including COSM modeling for guitar, bass and vocals
- New Vocal Tool Box with auto pitch correction and Harmony Sequence function
- 16 individual Track EQs, plus 8 dedicated compressors
- Mastering Tool Kit with multi-band compression for loud and punchy CDs
- Create backing tracks quickly via independent Drum/Bass and Loop Phrase tracks
- USB port for easy data exchange, plus V-LINK video control*
- COSM models added (derived from BOSS’s GT-6B)
- Enhanced Vocal Tool Box for better vocals and backings
- MIDI Slave capable for control from external MIDI devices
- BR-1180CD/1200CD data compatible
*V-LINK requires Edirol DV7-PR with software version 1.50 or higher.
New Bass Effects
Two types of bass-amp models were provided in the original BR-1600CD. Now, in Version 2, six COSM models have been added, bringing the total to eight. Also new to Version 2 are COSM-powered overdrive/distortion effects derived from the GT-6B, plus 2x2 Chorus, Humanizer, Vibrato, Slow Gear, and Ring Modulator effects. In Version 2, the order/routing of FX blocks can be freely modified.
Enhanced Vocal Tool Box
Fix pitch, add harmony tracks—these essential tools have been part of the BR-1600CD’s feature set since its release. With Version 2, the Vocal Tool Box gets even better with enhanced realtime vocal-pitch correction that allows you to designate specific editing regions (by contrast, Version 1’s pitch correction was a real time process in units of semitones). The Harmony Sequence feature has been improved as well, allowing you to have more control over the editing parameters.
New to the BR-1600CD is its ability to synchronize playback or recording with another BR-1600CD, recorder, or MIDI sequencer via incoming MIDI Time Code (MTC). If you have a friend who owns a BR-1600CD, for example, the two units can be combined to create a 32-track recording studio with 16 simultaneous input channels!
- Track: 16
V-Track: 256 (16 V-Tracks per each Track)
* Up to 8 tracks can be recorded simultaneously, and up to 16 tracks can be played back simultaneously.
- Maximum Useful Capacity / Recording Time
- Internal Hard Disk: 40 G bytes / Recording Time; 120 hours (conversion in one track)
* The recording times shown above are approximate. Times may vary depending on the number of songs and size of imported loop phrase that were created.
* The recording time s shown are the total for all tracks used. Therefore, if each of the sixteen tracks contain an equal amount of data, the length of the resulting song will be approximately 1/16 of the time shown.
- Signal Processing
- AD Conversion:24 bit, AF Method (Guitar/Bass), 24 bit, â³Σ Modulation (VOCAL, MULTI-TRACK, STEREO TRACKS)
DA Conversion: 24 bit, â³Σ Modulation
Internal Processing: 24 bit (digital mixer section)
Recording Data:16 bit linear
- Sample Rate
- 44.1 kHz
- Frequency Response
- 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+1/-3 dB)
- Total Distortion
- 0.02 % or less (INPUT SENS: CENTER, 1 kHz at nominal output level)
- Nominal Input Level (Variable)
- GUITAR/BASS jack: -10 dBu
MIC 1-8 jacks (XLR): -40 dBu
INPUT 1-8 jacks: -10 dBu
- Input Impedance
- GUITAR/BASS jack: 1 M ohms
MIC 1-8 jacks (XLR): 12.5 k ohms (HOT-COLD), 6.5 k ohms (HOT-GND, COLD-GND)
INPUT 1-8 jacks: 22 k ohms
- Nominal Output Level
- LINE OUT jack:-10 dBu
- Output Impedance
- LINE OUT jack: 2 k ohms
PHONES 1, 2 jack: 100 ohms
- Recommended Load Impedance
- LINE OUT jack: 20 k ohms or greater
PHONES 1, 2 jack: 8 to 50 ohms
- Residual Noise Level
- LINE OUT jack: -90 dBu or less (INPUT SELECT: GUITAR/BASS, input terminated with 1 k ohms, INPUT SENS: CENTER, IHF-A, typ.)
- DIGITAL IN: S/PDIF 16-24 bit (coaxial type)
DIGITAL OUT: S/PDIF 16-24 bit (coaxial type)
USB connecter (B type)
- 130 x 36 mm (Backlit LCD)
- MIDI IN connector
MIDI OUT connector
DIGITAL IN connector (coaxial type)
DIGITAL OUT connector (coaxial type)
FOOT SW jack (1/4 inch phone type)
EXP PEDAL jack (Stereo 1/4” phone type)
LINE OUT jacks (RCA Phono type)
INPUT 1-8 jacks (unbalanced, 1/4” phone type)
MIC 1-8 jacks(XLR balanced)
PHONES 1 jack (Stereo 1/4” phone type)
PHONES 2 jack (Stereo 1/4” phone type)
GUITAR/BASS jack (1/4” phone type)
- Power Supply
- DC 12 V; AC Adaptor (Roland PSB-7U)
- Power Consumption
- 3 A
- AC Adaptor: PSB-7U
Effect Patch List
DISCRETE DRUMS (CD-ROM)
- Size and Weight ( excl. AC Adaptor )
- 494 mm
- 19-1/2 inches
- 339 mm
- 13-3/8 inches
- 99 mm
- 3-15/16 inches
- 4.9 kg
- 10 lbs. 13 oz.
- *The specifications are subject to change without notice.
Downloads & Updates
Downloads & Updates
- BR-1600CD System Update Version 2.20 (PC/MAC - CD)
- This file is for update via CD-R. With Version 2 update, the BR-1600CD will have GT-6B equivalent COSM Bass Amp, enhanced Vocal Tool Box, MIDI Slave capability, and more.
NOTE:The BR update file that you download and save to your computer from the link above is a compressed zip file.
The update files that are compressed into the zip file that you download will need to be extracted before you can burn them to a CD.
If you have questions about operating your BOSS product, please check our Knowledge Base for answers to the most common questions.
You can also contact our Product Support department by phone or email.
In addition, we have a library of Support Documents that you can download and reference. If Support Documents are available for this product, they will be listed below.
- BR-1600CD TurboStart
- An Introduction to Recording Your Own CD
- BOSS Product Catalog 2008
- Forging the Future - Innovation for Creative Inspiration
BOSS forges into 2008 with an awe-inspiring lineup of effects, digital studios, and accessories.
- BR-1600CD Brochure
- BR-Series Brochure
- BOSS Product Catalog 2012
- BOSS Product Catalog 2011