SP-505: Groove Sampling Workstation
FeaturesThe BOSS SP-505 Groove Sampling Workstation is the ultimate tool for working with samples, loops and laying down beats. With eight voices of CD-quality sampling, cool Chop and BPM Sync functions—plus a 4-part sequencer and 26 killer DSP effects—the SP-505 has everything groove musicians need to build cutting-edge tracks.
- Compact sampling workstation with onboard sequencing and effects
- 8 voices of CD-quality sampling, expandable up to 128MB via SmartMedia*
- Chop function divides loops and maps individual samples to pads
- Pitch function for playing back samples at new pitches as on a keyboard
- BPM Sync function instantly matches up to 16 phrases to the same tempo
- 64 onboard Tones with drums, bass, keyboard, synth sounds and more
- 4-part Pattern Sequencer with Quantize for easy song creation
- Intuitive graphic LCD (with waveform display) and three knobs
- 26 effects like Tape Echo, Isolator and Vinyl Simulator with resampling and realtime control
- Imports .WAV/AIFF files via SmartMedia*; Coaxial/Optical Digital inputs
- *SmartMedia cards sold separately; SmartMedia adapter or PCI adapter card required for .WAV/AIFF conversion. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.
More InfoMore Than Meets The Eye
In the past, owning a compact sampler meant sacrificing features found in software and high-end machines. The new SP-505 changes all that with helpful tools like sample Chop, for dividing loops into individual samples, and automatic BPM sync of phrases. And with onboard sequencing and professional-quality effects, you get a lot more than you pay for with this cool, tabletop groove sampling workstation.
Powerful Sample Editing
In addition to its 8-note, CD-quality sampling—with the ability to pitch samples chromatically—the SP-505 provides several powerful editing functions. A graphic LCD with waveform display allows you to zoom in when editing Start and End points or boost the level of a specific waveform range. The aforementioned Chop function is great for dividing loops into individual “slices,” which can then be replayed and rearranged at will. And with automatic BPM Sync, getting your loops together is a snap.
4-Part Sequencing with Adjustable Swing
A complete sampling workstation, the SP-505 features a 4-part sequencer with 15,000-note capacity, plus a Swing function for creating shuffle patterns. By mapping individual samples to the pads, you can create custom drum grooves and even overdub loops. Or, create sequences using the SP-505’s internal ROM Tones, which include a selection of drums, basses and synths. A Pattern Select feature makes changing patterns easy using the 16 pads—great for live performance.
Killer Effects Processing and Resampling
With 26 onboard effects, you can twist your samples into just about any sound imaginable. These high-quality groove effects include a new Vinyl Simulator, plus favorites like Isolator, Filter+Drive, Slicer, Reverb, Tape Echo and more—all of which can be controlled in real time using the knobs, or even re-sampled to another pad.
SmartMedia Slot, .WAV Compatibility and More
While the SP-505’s internal memory provides more than two minutes of CD-quality mono sampling, this can be expanded to over one hour using an optional 128MB SmartMedia card. These cards can also store sequencer data, and can be used to import .WAV/AIFF files from a computer as well. And with a choice of Mic, Line, or Coaxial and Optical digital inputs, you can sample virtually any source and process sounds though the internal effects.
- Maximum Polyphony
- 8 notes
- Internal Memory
- Samples: 250 (16 banks)
- Expansion Card Memory
- Samples: 256 (16 banks)
- Maximum Sampling Time
- Internal (times approximate)
STANDARD: 2 minutes, LONG: 5 minutes, LO-FI: 17 minutes
Memory card (times approximate)
8 MB; STANDARD: 4 min, LONG: 8 min, LO-FI: 24 min
16 MB; STANDARD: 8 min, LONG: 16 min, LO-FI: 49 min
32 MB; STANDARD: 16 min, LONG: 32 min, LO-FI: 98 min
64 MB; STANDARD: 32 min, LONG: 64 min, LO-FI: 197 min
128 MB; STANDARD: 64 min, LONG: 129 min, LO-FI: 395 min
- Sampling Frequency
- STANDARD: 44.1 kHz
LONG: 22.05 kHz
LO-FI: 11.025 kHz
- Track Recording Methods
- Event recording (Realtime/Microscope Edit)
- Number of Recordable Events (pad operations)
- Approximately 15,000 events
- Signal Processing
- AD conversion: 20 bit
DA conversion: 20 bit
- Nominal Input Level
- Input (line): -10 dBu
Input (mic): -55 to -25 dBu
- Input Impedance
- Input (line): 50 k ohms
Input (mic): 2 k ohms
- Nominal Output Level
- Output (line): -10 dBu
- Output Impedance
- 2 k ohms
- PHONES jack (Stereo 1/4 inch phone type)
MIC jack (1/4 inch phone type)
LINE OUT jacks L/R (RCA phono type)
LINE IN jacks L/R (RCA phono type)
DIGITAL IN connectors (optical/coaxial)
FOOT SW jack (1/4 inch phone type)
MIDI connectors (IN/OUT)
AC Adaptor jack (AC 14 V)
- Power Supply
- AC Adaptor (BRC series)
- Current Draw
- 800 mA
- 800 mA
- AC Adaptor (BRC series)
- Foot Switch: FS-5U
- Size and Weight
- 298 mm
- 11-3/4 inches
- 254 mm
- 10 inches
- 64 mm
- 2-9/16 inches
- 1.4 kg
- 3 lbs. 2 oz.
- * 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms
- *The specifications are subject to change without notice.
Downloads & Updates
Downloads & Updates
- SP-505 System Update v1.02 SmartMedia (PC)
- This is the PC form of the SmartMedia update for the SP-505. Please follow the steps outlined in the readme document to perform the update.
- SP-505 System Update v1.02 SmartMedia (MAC)
- This is the Macintosh form of the SmartMedia update for the SP-505. Please follow the steps outlined in the readme document to perform the update.
- SP-505 System Update v1.02 (MAC - SMF)
- This is the Macintosh form of the Standard MIDI File update for the SP-505. Please follow the steps outlined in the readme document to perform the update.
Note to Mac Users: You will need the UPD SMF Update Application if you do not have access to a sequencer program.
- SP-505 System Update v1.02 (PC - SMF)
- This is the PC form of the Standard MIDI file update for the SP-505. Please follow the steps outlined in the readme document to perform the update.
If you have questions about operating your BOSS product, please check our Knowledge Base for answers to the most common questions.
You can also contact our Product Support department by phone or email.
In addition, we have a library of Support Documents that you can download and reference. If Support Documents are available for this product, they will be listed below.